Dec 12 2018
God named Ishmael ‘God hears’ before he was born. Years later, God heard Ishmael’s cry when he was perishing in the wilderness and opened his mother’s eyes to see a spring of water from which she gave him drink – and he lived!
Islam claims Ishmael as a spiritual forefather. Today’s
Muslims are in the wilderness perishing and crying out for living water. Let the Church pray to the Father to reveal the well of living water, Jesus, so they might live!
Loving mosque communities together
The Canadian Network of Ministries to Muslims (CNMM) has changed its name to Loving Muslims Together (LMT). LMT has a heart for prayer and is embarking on an initiative to get churches praying for their neighbouring mosque communities until every one of Canada’s 650+ mosques is covered in prayer and the prayer has catalyzed outreach. The initiative is called “Loving a Mosque Community Together” and involves challenging pastors to commit to
- personally praying regularly and fervently for salvation of local Muslims,
- praying publicly from the pulpit for this community,
- convening a group to pray monthly and
- following God’s leading for ways to tangibly express Jesus’ loving hospitality.
LMT has produced very attractive pamphlets for distribution to pastors. They are available from local LMT representatives, who can be located on the Find a Network page on the website, www.lovingmuslimstogether.ca. LMT is asking the Lord for one in ten Canadian Muslims to be following Jesus within 10 years, and some members are fasting on Fridays toward that goal.
The LMT website will soon have maps of the distribution of Muslims in Canada by nation of origin, and the locations of mosques in relation to churches across the nation and in major centres from Greater Vancouver to the Maritimes. Watch for it under Resources for Christians/Canadian Statistics.
A speaker at LMT’s recent biennial conference said Islam is in essence a prayer movement as it requires Muslims to pray 5 times daily and fast during daylight hours for a month annually, and proposed, it takes a prayer movement to win a prayer movement. Let’s pray for a prayer strategy to support LMT’s prayer initiative. Let’s pray with faith for “superior intelligence” by listening for the Lord’s wisdom.
We have confidence to enter heaven’s Throne Room by the blood of Christ (Heb 10:19), so let’s observe protocol (Ps 100:2, 4) and sing all 4 verses of Joy to the World, a song written not for Christmas but for Christ’s Second Coming (https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/joy-to-the-world-a-classic-christmas-hymn-reconsidered/).
We can have heaven’s perspective on earthly things because God has “raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Eph 2:6), and “we have the mind of Christ” (1 Co 2:16). First, listen to what you “overhear” in the Throne Room and pray it through, and then pray through what I believe I heard when I asked the Lord what He wanted me to pray:
- May the pastors You call to pray prepare by clothing themselves in the armor of light (Ro 13:12 note context in vv 8-11), and their spiritual armor (Eph 6:10-18).
- May they equip themselves and their congregations with the “readiness given by the Gospel of peace” (Eph 6:15 and see Isa 9:6 & Ro 1:16-17).
- I asked, “What will make us impervious to Islam’s seductions as we pray and reach out?” and heard, “They said to each other, ‘Did not our hearts burn within us while He talked to us on the road, while He opened to us the Scriptures?’ ” (Lu 24:32). May our hearts burn with that personal revelation of Jesus.
- I asked, “What will make us impervious to Islam’s deceptions?” and heard, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth” (2 Ti 2:15), “let us fix our eyes on Jesus” (Heb 12:1-3) and “understand the faithful purity of the Bride of Christ” (2 Co 11:2). Spirit, inspire us to use the written word skillfully. Jesus, may we have eyes for You alone.
- Finally, I heard, “Pray with eyes wide open.” Lord, teach us to pray with our eyes open so we can see our Muslim neighbors through Your eyes of love (Lu 2:14) and the system holding them captive (Lu 11:21-22).
The comment feature is locked by administrator.