Praying from a Kingdom perspective
November 13, 2019
The Jerusalem Centre for Public Affairs, headed by former Israeli Ambassador to the UN Dore Gold, has published a paper entitled, “Is Canada’s Justin Trudeau the Great Reformer of Islam?” (by Lt. Col. (ret.) J. D. Halevi, Nov 18/18). Filed under “Anti-Semitism”, the paper is likely motivated by concern about rising Islamic antisemitism in Canada. It describes our PM as “an icon of the West’s…openness to Islamic values”, quoting him that “Islam is not incompatible with western secular democracy”. It suggests he believes “he can inculcate the younger [Muslim] generation with liberalism [i.e. “Canadian values”], and, in the future, create a reformed Muslim community that embraces liberal values and distances itself from the religious leadership”. It says that in doing so, Trudeau has de facto “taken on the role of the great reformer of Islam...who successfully incorporates liberal values in Islam with an Islamic seal of approval”.
The paper surveys various responses from Canadian Muslims, ranging from buy-in by some – including those running for Parliament under the Liberal banner, to criticisms that aspects of the “progressive” Liberal agenda – e.g. sex education curricula – will destroy Muslim families. It concludes by predicting that Salafist (revivalist) Muslim voices will become louder in criticizing the impacts of liberalism on the Muslim community and may result in an independent Muslim political party formed to create an Islamic bloc in Parliament.
Is Canada’s Justin Trudeau the Great Reformer of Islam?
On October 11, 2019 a radical Muslim cleric in Victoria BC warned Muslim youth not to vote in the election because “every single” candidate [i.e. Jews and Christians] was “filthy” and “evil”; and if they did, they would answer to Allah on Judgement Day. The YouTube message was picked up by media sensitive to antisemitism, e.g. The Times of Israel and Middle East Media Research Institute, but not by mainstream Canadian media to my knowledge
Canadian Imam Younus Kathrada: All Candidates in Upcoming Elections are Evil, Filthy Non-Muslims
How should Christ-followers pray for this situation?
- Set aside political partisanship (agendas); resolve to pray from a Kingdom perspective (Pr 3:5, Eph 2:6).
- Thank God for Canada’s freedoms and blessings that we can share with others (Ps 100:4-5).
- Pray with faith (Jn 14:12, Mk 9:24, Ja 1:6-7).
- Pray in the Spirit (Eph 6:10-18):
- Enter the throne room (Heb 10:19-23).
- Ask God to show you His heart so you can pray in His name (Lk 9:51-56, Jn 14:13-14).
- Pray accordingly.
- Pray for those in authority over us (1 Ti 2:1-6):
- Pray for PM Trudeau to seek and find true wisdom (Pr 2:1-15, Jn 8:12, 1 Co 1:18-31).
- Ask God to surround him with an abundance of wise counselors (Pr 11:14, 24:5-6).
- Ask God to expose all hidden agendas against His purposes so authorities can deal with them.
- Pray in the opposite spirit (see also #1):
- Pray FOR people and AGAINST false ideologies (Jn 3:16-17, 2 Co 10:5, Eph 6:12).
- Ask God to pour out His mercy in every redeemable situation (Ja 2:12-13).
- Release blessing, not cursing, over Muslims in Canada – including radicals – so they may know God’s love, power and purpose revealed in Jesus Christ His Son (Mt 5:43-48, Lk 17:1-2, Ac 9:1-5).
- Stand (Eph 6:13) on God’s written and prophetic word for Canada:
- “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done [in Canada] as it is in heaven” (Mt 6:10, 16:16-19)!
- “He shall have dominion also from sea to sea” (Ps 72:8)!