August 7, 2020
To Help you Pray this month for your Local Mosque Community.
We learn from Scripture that God moves people for His purposes, starting from Babel. "...its name was called Babel...And from there the Lord dispersed them over the face of all the earth". (Gen.11:9). For what purpose is God bringing thousands of Muslim people to Canada? Is it so that you and I can befriend them and introduce them to the Gospel of Jesus?
Delight a Muslim by knowing something about their celebrations and know that your conversation provides amazing opportunities to happily share what our Bible teaches!
What are their celebrations in August?
- August 21st: Muharram is the 1st month of the Islamic calendar, with Al-Hijra being the 1st day (their New Year). This date marks the day in 622CE when their prophet Muhammad moved from Mecca to Medina and set up the 1st Islamic State. Generally it is simply a good time for New Year Resolutions!
- August 29th: Ashura means "10th" and is the 10th day of Muharram. It is recognized differently by Shia and Sunni Muslims. Shia's mourn the death in battle of their 3rd Imam. For Sunni's it is a day of joy as, in Medina, Muhammed and his followers learned from the Jewish community, and followed their example, that they fasted in remembrance of God rescuing His people from Egypt through Moses.
- Opportunities for which to pray:
- To share what our Bible records of the Exodus
- To refer your Muslim friend(s) to the LMT website where, under Resources for Muslims, they can order a Bible in their heart language
- Offer to read the Biblical account with them
- Ask if you can pray for them and check out for what they need prayer (most will value your prayer in the Name of Jesus!)
- For continued friendship and that the Holy Spirit will draw your friend(s) to the Truth.